Study info

Bachelor’s thesis

Bachelor’s thesis instructions

The Bachelor’s thesis have to be prepared according to the instructions. Each department has its own instructions for preparing a Bachelor’s thesis. See the instructions in the department-specific further info section.

As stated by the Ministry of Education, all the Bachelor’s thesis prepared at Kemi-Tornio UAS are public.

Saving the Bachelor’s thesis

Students save their own theses into the open repository Theseus, which is an online library of the Universities of Applied Sciences offered by Arene. Theses and publications of Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences are saved into Theseus. Theses are saved as a PDF file into Theseus, where they are freely readable for everyone through the Internet. There are instructions for saving in the Theseus. The library will also instruct students. Instructions and further information on the Theseus can be found on the website of the UAS library.

The primary place to save the thesis is the online library Theseus. If the student does not save his/her thesis into the electronic online library Theseus, s/he has to deliver a cased thesis to the library. The student pays for the casing himself/herself. The cased theses are listed in the Juolukka database.

The student union (in Technology & Business Management) will case it for them. The student will pay for the casing him/herself. The student delivers one bound A4-sized printed copy of his/her thesis to his/her thesis instructor for filing. The instructor delivers the copy to the office to be filed. The theses with grade 5 are filed permanently (Decision KA 321/43/03 of the National Archives Service of Finland) and other theses are filed for 10 years (Archiving periods for municipal documents 12/12.6).


Credit transfer and recognition of prior learning

Prior studies and knowledge acquired and showed otherwise can be transferred at the university of applied sciences. (Act of Polytechnics 352/2003 Chapter 4 § 14)

Credit transfer

If you have completed studies in a domestic or foreign higher education institution or in another educational institution either before starting your studies at Kemi-Tornio UAS or during your studies, you can apply for credit transfer to your degree studies. General qualification for applying to universities of applied sciences cannot directly be transfered to the degree studies.

Prior learning can either be included in your degree or substitute the corresponding studies in the same field. Including means that studies completed elsewhere are part of your degree and credit transfer e.g. to your optional or elective studies. Substituting means that the studies completed elsewhere with the corresponding contents and of the same level can substitute the studies of the curriculum of the degree programme.

The studies of the same level mean the levels 6 and 7 of the National Qualification Framework, NQF.

Application forms for credit transfer 

Recognition of Prior Learning

As a student you are entitled to apply for recognition of your prior learning. You must recognise and show your prior learning compared to the aims and contents of the course according to the procedure agreed in the University of Applied Sciences. More information on the principles of Recognition of Prior Learning in Finnish universities is available in the report of RPL.

The exact details of credit transfer are to be found in Guide for transferring studies and learning


Diploma Supplement

In Kemi-Tornio University of Applied Sciences every graduate will be issued by the Diploma Supplement (DS) automatically and free of charge. The DS accompanies a higher education diploma, providing a standardised description of the nature, level, context, content and status of the studies completed by its holder. The Diploma Supplement is a response to these challenges, aiding mobility and access to lifelong learning opportunities. It promotes transparency in higher education and fair and informed judgements about qualifications. It also accommodates rapid changes in qualifications.

It has eight sections of information identifying the holder of the qualification; the qualification, its level and function; the contents and results gained; certification of the supplement; details of the national higher education system plus any additional information.

The supplement is designed as an aid to help recognition – it is not a CV or a substitute for the original qualification, and it does not guarantee recognition.The Diploma Supplement facilitates graduate mobility and the academic and professional recognition of qualifications abroad.

More information on the Diploma Supplement can be found at the European Commission website.

A sample of an awarded Diploma Supplement and Trancript of Records


Enrolment (for attendance / non-attendance) and withdrawal from studies

You have to enrol as attending or non-attending each academic year in a manner designated by the UAS. The academic year begins on the 1st of August and lasts until the 31st of July (Polytechnics Act 352/2003, 23 §). Students have to enrol for the entire academic year (1st of August–31st of July), if they have remaining entitlement to study for the whole academic year. If you have enrolled for the entire academic year in the autumn, you can change your enrolment concerning the spring term (1.1. – 31.7.). If you neglect enrolment, you will lose your entitlement to study (see Restoring the entitlement to study). You can enrol by WinhaWille or by filling in the Enrolment form.

You can enrol as non-attending for four semesters i.e. for two academic years at the most within your study entitlement time. During the non-attendance semester you cannot carry out any UAS studies and no credits can be registered into the Record of Credits. Students studying in the extension time, in specialisation studies or a Master’s degree programme cannot enrol as non-attending. If you have been non-attending, you can carry on your studies by enrolling as attending at the beginning of the term. The Ministry of Education and Culture will revise the licenses of all universities of applied sciences at the end of the year 2013 and, at the same time, decides on their rights to provide education. For this reason, it is important for you to consider carefully, if it is worthwhile to enrol as non-attending for it may be that the education you have been accepted to now will no longer be started at the university of applied sciences that you have chosen.

For a well-grounded reason students can change their enrolment as attending or non-attending during the academic year (Polytechnics Act 351/2003, 23 §). If you wish to change your enrolment, please contact the Common Student Affairs’ Office for advice.

If you wish to withdraw from your UAS studies, you also have to fill in the enrolment form and the section Withrawal from studies in it.

Specific information on the entitlement to study and enrolment you will find in the enclosure 1 of the degree regulations of the Kemi-Tornio UAS.


Entitlement to study at Kemi-Tornio UAS

In the definition of entitlement to study the Act and Decree on University Studies of Applied Sciences (351/2003 and 352/2003), the Act and Decree on the Financing of Education and Culture (635/1998 and 806/1998), the instructions prepared by the Ministry of Education and the degree regulations of the Kemi-Tornio UAS are conformed. The Act on Equality aims at preventing direct and indirect discrimination based on gender as well as contributing the equality between men and women.


Equality and non-discrimination

The Kemi-Tornio UAS complies with the Equality and Non-discrimination Plan of the Kemi-Tornionlaakso Municipal Education and Training Consortium Lappia, which is based on the acts of equality and non-discrimination. The Equality Act (609/1986) aims at preventing the direct and indirect discrimination based on gender as well as enhancing the equality between men and women. The Non-Discrimination Act (21/2004) forbids discrimination based on age, ethnic or national origin, citizenship, language, religion, conviction, opinion, disability, sexual orientation or other personal reason.

The Co-operation Committee of the Consortium Lappia acts as an equality committee. Student representation will be called in the meeting, when the Committee deals with matters concerning equality and non-discrimination. Furthermore, the School Social Worker acts as a harassment contact person.

The harassment contact person acts as a contact person in the settling of sexual or other harassment cases and helps the person who has been harassed to settle the matter as well as gives instructions.



The examination procedure and assessment has been prescribed in the degree regulations of Kemi-Tornio UAS.

In studies leading to a degree a student can take an examination two (2) times with the same degree requirements by the end of the next academic semester at the latest. Hereafter the examination has to be taken according to possibly revised course requir-ements. An improvement of a passed examination grade can be pursued once in the duration of studies based on the extent of the degree programme (3.5 or 4 years) during the next academic year.

An examination has to be assessed, the grade to be brought to the notice of the student on a bulletin board reserved for the purpose or otherwise and the grade to be entered into the record of credits within one month (1) from the examination. This deadline concerns also the grading of training and final thesis. If the study attainment includes returnable exercises or reports in addition to the examination or training, the student has to submit them by the end of the course or training.

The schedule of the examinations is confirmed by the beginning of the course or due to the examination schedule of the department.

Examinations rules

  • Bags and coats have to be left either in front of the room, alongside the walls of the room or outside the examination room.
  • All mobile communication equipment has to be switched off and left in the bag or pocket of the coat.
  • In addition to the the test papers you can have only the ID card, pencil, eraser and calculator on the desk during the test unless something else has been notified.
  • The answering time starts at the moment all the examinees have received the test papers.
  • You can exit the room after 30 minutes has passed from the prenotified starting time of the examination. Examinees entering before that time can take part in the examination. The starting time, permitted exit time and termination time will be written in the board.
  • You will be informed of the termination 10 minutes before termination.
  • If you commit deceit or cause disturbance you will be removed from the room. The incident will be communicated to the Education Manager, under whom you will have to discuss the incident with the invigilator. Disciplinary procedure is determined by the degree regulations of Kemi-Tornio UAS and legislation concerning universities of applied sciences.
  • During the examination the invigilator circulates in the room and follow the progress of the examination.
  • In the re-examinations you have to prove your identity.

Exceeding the study entitlement time

If you have not graduated within the normative duration of studies (3.5 or 4 years), you can study an extra year after the normative duration. If you have not graduated after that either, you have to apply entitlement to study in the extension time for completing your studies by filling in the application form for it.

Specific information on the entitlement to study you will find in the enclosure 1 of the degree regulations of the Kemi-Tornio UAS.


Expressions in Finnish

Abbreviations Phrases

klo (kello) = time
ark. (arkisin) = on working days
krs. (kerros) = floor
puh. (puhelin) = tel. (telephone)
kpl (kappale) = piece, each item
ma (maanantai) = Mon (Monday)
ti (tiistai) = Tue (Tuesday)
ke (keskiviikko) = Wed (Wednesday)
to (torstai) = Thu (Thursday)
pe (perjantai) = Fri (Friday)
la (lauantai) = Sat (Saturday)
su (sunnuntai) = Sun (Sunday)

Kyllä = Yes
Ei = No
Ehkä = Maybe
Kiitos = Thank you
Ole hyvä! = Here you are!
Terve/Hei = Hello/Hi
Hyvää päivää = Good afternoon
Hyvää huomenta = Good morning
Hyvää iltaa = Good evening
Näkemiin/Hei hei = See you/Bye bye
Anteeksi = Sorry
Anteeksi = Excuse me

Transport Signs

taksi = taxi
VR (Valtion rautatiet) = Finnish Railways
juna = train
vaunu = railway carriage
raide = platform, track
lipunmyynti = ticket office
aikataulu = timetable
makuuvaunu = sleeping car
ravintolavaunu = dining car
istumapaikka, paikka = seat
tupakoimaton = non-smoking
tupakoiva = smoking
menolippu = one-way ticket
meno-paluulippu = return ticket
matkatavarat = luggage
linja-autoasema = bus station
linja-auto/bussi = bus
lentokone = aeroplane
lentokenttä = airport

Suomi = Finland
Ruotsi = Sweden
puhelin = telephone
keskusta = centre
poliisi = police
sairaala = hospital
M (miehet) = men
N (naiset) = ladies
kassa = cash desk
asiakaspalvelu = customer service
avoinna/auki = open
suljettu/kiinni = closed
vedä = pull
työnnä = push
ulos = exit
sisään = entrance
epäkunnossa/rikki = out of order

Shopping Banking and mailing

ale (alennusmyynti) = sale
(erikois)tarjous = (special) offer / sale
hinta = price
kuitti = receipt
vaihtorahat = loose change (money)
pankkikortti = debit card
luottokortti = credit card
koko = size
pieni = small
suuri = big

palvelumaksu = service charge
valuutanvaihto = currency exchange
henkilöllisyystodistus = identification card
valuuttakurssi = exchange rate
posti = post office
postimerkki = stamp
kirje = letter
paketti = parcel
maitse = by surface mail
lentopostitse = by air mail
sähköposti = email



Study attainments are assessed and entered into the Record of Credits as prescribed by the degree regulations of the Kemi-Tornio UAS.

The courses and/or study modules leading to a university degree of applied sciences or specialisation studies are assessed on a scale of grades Excellent (5), Good (3 - 4), Satisfactory (1 - 2) or Pass. The examinations of the courses and/or study modules are assessed on the same scale or on a scale of grade Pass/Fail. If the scale of grades of a substitutive course differs from the 1 - 5 scale, the grade should be adapted to fit the 1 - 5 scale. All the credited studies will be assessed with the grade Pass.


Graduation and request for diploma

To graduate and obtain a diploma you have to have all the completed courses entered into the record of credits. After all the courses of the degree have been completed and registered you should order your transcript of records from the Student Affairs’ Office of you educational unit and fill in the request for diploma. When you fill in the request for diploma, you have to answer the joint OPALA-student feedback survey for graduating students.

Send the request for diploma to the Student Affairs Office no later than two weeks before the meeting of the Board of Examiners. The meeting dates of the Board of Examiners are declared at the beginning of the academic year. See the dates of the departmental Boards of Examiners:

Once you have submitted your request for diploma to the Student Affairs’ Office, it will be confirmed by the Board of Examiners. Your graduation date and your diploma’s date of issue will be the meeting day of the Board except in May and December when the diploma will get the date of the graduation ceremony. With checking it takes about two weeks from the graduation date to write out the diploma. The diploma will be written in the language the tuition has taken place in your degree programme.

The diplomas are issued in the graduation ceremony either in May or December depending on your graduation time.


Graduation ceremony

The graduation ceremony at the Kemi-Tornio UAS takes place twice a year, in May and December. You can see the dates in the period tables on the Study Info page.

If you are graduating or have graduated after the last graducation ceremony and wish to take part in the ceremony, it is essential for you to enrol beforehand, because each graduate has a named seat on the stage. If you have already graduated you will get an invitation to the ceremony by post and therefore please remember to keep your address updated in the Winha interface. If you are graduating you can ask the invitation from the Student Affairs’ Office of your educational unit.

The ceremony is common to all graduates of Kemi-Tornio UAS. In the ceremony you will get your diploma and the graduation scarf. There will also be other programme in the ceremony.


Health insurance of non-EU citizens

For receiving a residence permit non-EU citizens must have a health insurance issued by a reliable and financially sound company or institution, which covers the expenses for medical care. If the duration of studies is over two years, it is sufficient that the insurance covers the costs of medicines up to 30,000 euros (cost level in 2007).

A residence permit cannot be issued for a period exceeding the period of the insurance cover.

For applying instructions and application forms concerning health insurance, see the website of the Finnish Immigration Service. Information on resirence permits can also be found on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Finland.


Information channels for students: Avack

The units communicate to students via Avack information channels. You can follow Avack channels on the Internet and in some units also on television sets located in the lobbies.

The Avack channels on the Internet:


International student exchange

If you are a student in a foreing institution of higher education and wish to come to study at Kemi-Tornio UAS as an exchange student or if you are a student of Kemi-Tornio UAS and wish to take part in international exchange programmes, you should contact the International Officer Ms Annikki Pulkkinen, who will help you in this process.

The departmental contact persons in student exchange matters are:

Business & ICT

Health Care & Social Services



Language and communication studies

The supply of language and communication studies is developed in co-operation with Rovaniemi University of Applied Sciences and University of Lapland. The goal is to provide versatile selection of language and communication studies to the students of Lapland University Consortium.

In addition to the courses included in the curricula carried out as per degree decrees students are provided elective and optional courses of languages, culture and communication. The open UAS students may also take advantage of this supply in their own studies. You can see the courses available in the portal of the Provincial University of Lapland.



LearnLinc is a web-based learning environment.


Online studies and eLearning Centre

Through the website of the Kemi-Tornio UAS eLearning Centre you can into webcourses and get advice on virtual studies.

The portal of the Finnish Online University of Applied Sciences includes degree and specialised studies as well as continuing education and open university studies of applied sciences.

You can study courses in the Finnish Online UAS but you always have to discuss with the your teacher tutor before enrolling. See which courses you can enrol on.


OPALA graduation survey

If you are graduating, you have to answer a graduation survey in OPALA, which is a joint student feedback system of the universities of applied sciences and the Ministry of Education. If you cannot get into the Opala system to answer the survey according to the instructions you will find in OPALA, please contact Kaisa Vesamäki.



Plagiarism is a crime. To prevent plagiarism Kemi-Tornio UAS uses URKUND programme, which automatically checks study assignments to find out, if they have been plagiated. See how the URKUND operates.

URKUND operates also in Moodle. When a student returns a written paper (defined as an URKUND paper) in Moodle, the programme automatically checks it to find out, if there is content plagiarised from somewhere else.


Restoring the entitlement to study

If you have neglected your duty to enrol and have therefore lost your entitlement to study, you have to apply for restoring the entitlement. Specific information on the entitlement to study you will find in the enclosure 1 of the degree regulations of the Kemi-Tornio UAS.

If you have lost your entitlement to study due to neglect of enrolment or non-performance of studies, you have to pay 35 euros for handling of the application for restoring the entitlement to study.


Study guides


Transcript of records

You can see and get a printout of your curriculum, courses and credits from WinhaWille. If you need an official transcript of records with stamps and signatures, you can get it from the Student Affairs’ Office of your educational unit.


Transferring from one degree programme to another

You can transfer from one degree programme to another within the UAS, if the new programme is of the same department as your current one and your degree remains the same. If you qualify for this, you can apply the transfer by filling in the application form for transferring.



Tutoring is guidance which aims at familiarising the newcomers with the studies and supporting student’s learning process towards self-direction as the studies progress. There are two kinds of tutors:

  1. A teacher tutor is a teacher who guides the students of the group s/he is in charge of. The departments may have differents terms for this kind of person.
  2. A student tutor is a student who has started his/her studies in the previous year. S/he may be the first person you will meet when you start your studies. You can contact your own student tutor whether it concerns studies or hobbies.


You can see your curriculum, courses and credits in WinhaWille.